Nassau County Government Operations Center
Mineola, New York
Client: Nassau County Department of Public Works
Project Type: Comprehensive Interior and Exterior Restoration; Feasibility Study; Historic Structure Report; Adaptive Use Planning; Construction Documentation and Administration
WINNER OF 2009 EXCELLENCE IN HISTORIC PRESERVATION AWARD FROM THE PRESERVATION LEAGUE OF NEW YORK STATE
Construction of this Neoclassical courthouse, designed by architect William B. Tubby, was one of the first priorities after Nassau County was established in 1899. Added to and modified throughout the twentieth century, the courthouse is now the focal point of the Nassau County Government Operations Center.
Exterior, after restoration
John G. Waite Associates, Architects prepared a feasibility study, historic structure report, and adaptive use programming and planning study for the old courthouse in 2002. The subsequent restoration of the courthouse dome was the first step in the restoration process.
JGWA worked with HLW International on the construction of the $40 million Nassau County Government Operations Center project. JGWA is responsible for the interior and exterior restoration of the old courthouse, including the central rotunda and decorative barrel-vaulted ceremonial chamber. Construction was completed on the restoration and reuse of the old courthouse as executive and legislative office spaces for the county in 2009.